Friday 17 May 2013

Rory McEwen Botanical Artist

For many years I have been a great admirer of Rory McEwen, a botanical artist of great renown but also a gifted musician. He was born in Scotland on 12 March 1932 and in his short life produced some of the most amazing botanical art I have seen.
 
His single subjects, often of a single leaf, are vibrant with colour, extraordinary in their detail and almost ethereal in their presence.
 

 
I am often drawn to his book which I have had in my collection for as long as I can remember and am in awe as I open the pages to look in wonder at his paintings.
 
So you can imagine how excited I am that I will be going to London in August and will be able to see his wonderful exhibition of works 'The Colours of Reality' at the Shirley Sherwood Botanical Gallery at the Kew Botanical Gardens. His paintings can be described as 'hyper-realistic'.
 
I would like to share this video with you. His work remains a legacy to his devotion to art, his love of nature and his incredible creative talent. Sadly he passed away at age 50 on 16 October 1982.
 
 
If you are interested in finding out more about Rory and his life, there is (as always) a mountain of information on the internet.
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing artist! I'm sure you will enjoy the exhibition at Kew Gardens. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonie, Thanks very much for the link, his work is really inspiring indeed. I found another much longer (14 minutes) video at YouTube with even more pictures of his work and information of his life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ow_fS94fo

    ReplyDelete