Thursday 22 May 2014

Australian State Floral Emblems

I have been so incredibly busy since my last blog. I had a strict deadline for six commission paintings of the Australian state floral emblems. These will go on a dinner set, placemats and other merchandise and will be available at Christmas.
 
At the same time I was doing these paintings, I visited Hobart - met with glorious weather. What a change from my previous trip in October last year where it was extremely cold, unbelievably windy and even snowing at Oatlands. I will be doing another 'Sketching Historic  Tasmania' tour and am in the planning stages. The last tour was a great success with so many historical places to visit and sketch.
 
Back to my botanical paintings....here are some of the processes I used for the Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha), which is the floral emblem for the Commonwealth of Australia.
 
The first stage was my line drawing which was submitted for approval. More leaves were requested.
The first wash
 
With my work, I am continually assessing. Thought this needed many more flowers as it had to stand out on a white plate. I was asked to paint them strong and bright.
 
No sooner had a finished one painting then had to immediately begin another. Half way through the commission, I also had another committment which took me away for another two weeks. Pleased to say the six paintings were finished on time.
 

The final painting
 


No comments:

Post a Comment