Sunday 16 August 2015

Cambodia and Vietnam

I have recently returned from an incredible sketching tour of Cambodia and Vietnam. I took a dedicated, inspirational and interesting group - what more could I ask for?  Often it is the wonderful people  you meet or get to know on your holidays that make it that much more special.

The sketchbooks contain personal memories of a special time and for me, and I am sure others, the sketches are far more personal and meaningful than a photo.

I can always visualise exactly where I was when sketching, what the weather was like, who was around me and also aromas.

So I would like to share with you a few of my sketches done on this latest sketching tour.

SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA

Buddha in Preah Prohn Roach, city temple in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Angkor Wat temple, near Siem Reap
Kompong Phluk stilt village, Siem Reap
When the river rises the water comes up to the houses, the streets are flooded and the children row to school in boats. See below a photo of more stilt houses.


HOI AN, VIETNAM

Hu Hua temple in the old town on Hoi An

The villagers were constantly watering their crops from the wells situated around the vegetable area. This area also boasted a temple, a wonderful cafe, a cooking school and the greenest, healthiest crops I have seen.

Gom Thanh Ha pottery village, Hoi An
The pottery village is a 16th-17th century traditional occupational village. They still use the original potting wheels which are operated by foot, and the original wood fired kilns.


This is a 92 year old woman still making pots. Notice how the wheel is turned by foot. There might be a message here for us in the modern world - on how to stay bright and healthy in later years.

Isn't she wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment