Wednesday 3 January 2018

First New Year Post

As promised, I will be doing more blog posts this year. Here is the first.

The subject is a Grevillea Victoriae. While staying with a friend in Uralla, 23 kms south west of Armidale in the Northern Tablelands, I discovered she had this beautiful grevillea growing. Its habitat is the New South Wales rocky mountains, dry or wet sclerophyll forest and snow gum woodland. It thrives in the cold environment and can also be found in the NSW New England region.

I brought home numerous branches to study and paint. They kept beautifully in the bottom of the fridge with a damp paper towel on the bottom of the stem, a spray of water, then secured in a plastic bag. 

A few of the branches I used for reference

The colours were glorious! Deep and soft pinks, almost iridescent oranges and deep reds

Colour study
 

Initial washes

I wanted to show the

I wanted to show the actual habit this plant grew in, which makes the painting a story.

Was pleased when I finally completed it, as I could not achieve continuity in the painting. It was stop and start most of the way as I was had other commitments in between painting spells.

With delight I finally took it to have it scanned just before Christmas, only to be told the shop was closing down for holidays until the end of January. Oh well, it is tucked away in the drawer and I look forward to the scan where it can be produced in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment